August 3, 2011

Reader Survey: Your Must-Make Summer Recipes

As I mentioned in a recent post, summer seems to be flying by.  Somehow it feels like yesterday I was excited to go outside without a coat, and now it's August, and soon the corn will be gone!  And that will be the saddest day, when the corn is gone.  Also the okra and tomatoes and eggplant and peaches.

Photo Source: Slash Food

The Kitchn had a post the other day about "must-make" summer recipes.  I think this is a really good exercise for a recipe horder collector like me.  Ever since about April I've been thinking about what recipes I want to try with summer fruits and vegetables.  I've actually managed to cross quite a few off my list (Grilled Eggplant with Goat Cheese and Tomatoes, Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins, Blueberry Muffins, Tomatillo Chicken Soup, Roasted Eggplant with Cous Cous and Fig, Arugula and Cheddar Paninis), but trust me my list is WAY longer than that.  So I realized that with August starting in and a few weekends of travel on the agenda between now and the official first day of autumn, I should probably whittle my list down to 5 "must-makes" - and then, of course, make them.

So here they are, my Top Five Must-Make Recipes of Summer 2011:
(in no particular order)

1. Pasta with Italian Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, Olives and Tomatoes - combo of a couple of recipes
2. Grilled Shrimp and Grits with Corn, Goat Cheese and Tomatoes - The Kitchn
3. Bhindi Masala (Okra and Tomato Curry) - Spicy Tasty
4. Pesto, Plum and Fontina Panini - Iowa Girl Eats
5. Strawberry-Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Serious Eats

Also, a bonus 6th: my favorite Epicurious lemon-raspberry cupcakes. They are definitely a permanent fixture in my dessert repertoire, but I haven't gotten around to making them since last Columbia Heights Day! 

Now that I've posted this, I have to make them all, right?  I can't let my readers down :)

But now, a reader survey!  What is your "must-make" summer recipe?  It can be something new you've been wanting to try or a favorite dish you've been making for years.  Post answers in the comments!

Check out the original post from The Kitchn here! The Final Stretch: Must-Make Summer Recipes

3 comments:

  1. I am focusing on actually succeeding in making bread. I already did the crumb-topped coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek Couscous Salad- it's simple, healthy, tasty, and great for picnics! (I used to dislike couscous too.) Make couscous according to pkg instructions (except use water and not broth) w/addition of a spoonful of lemon juice and 1 T. olive oil. Cool completely- add crumbled feta, sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, marinated artichokes, and chopped fresh mint and dill. Voila!

    ReplyDelete