September 2, 2011

The Lunch Box: Rosemary Chicken Salad

Chicken salad is one of my favorite sandwiches to make, primarily because it's such a blank slate. We needed something quick and easy to take to work this week for lunches, so I made up a giant batch of chicken salad on Monday night. Back in July MG and I roasted the two chickens we had in the freezer and shredded up all the leftover meat. So, all I had to do was pull out a bag of shredded chicken, let it defrost, and voila! Delicious homemade roast chicken all ready to be dressed up.



I used a recipe for rosemary chicken salad from Cheap, Healthy, Good as my canvas, and added my favorite ingredients - walnuts, grapes, green apple and celery. I also omitted the mayo and upped the Dijon mustard and it was plenty moist for my liking. This made 6 good sized portions - I enjoyed mine on an English muffin with some of the last of the balcony garden arugula and a ginormous peach on the side.

MG's desk is much neater than mine. Also, apparently he gets real plates.


And again, chicken salad can be made in so many different delicious ways.  So have fun! Try out some of their other variations, play with the amounts, make it your own.



What are your favorite chicken salad add-ins? Leave your answers in the comments!

Rosemary Chicken Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light via Cheap, Healthy, Good

Makes 6 servings

8 oz roasted chicken breast, shredded (as a time saver, freeze leftovers from a chicken dinner)
3 tbsp scallions, finely chopped
3/4 cup of red grapes, halved
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
6 tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Put ingredients in a bowl. Mix. Enjoy on your favorite bread or wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment