September 9, 2011

The Lunch Box: DIY Microwaveable Veggie Burritos

Happy Friday everyone! This week ended up a good one, lunch-wise:

We got back LATE on Monday night, so all my hopes of preparing something yummy to take to work on Tuesday were dashed. I had to resort to my emergency stash of frozen lunches, which are an emergency stash precisely because they don't taste great, so I only eat them if there isn't any other option.


My original plan was to pick up a salad from Au Bon Pain to have with my Lean Cuisine, but as I sat at my desk thinking about lunch, I decided I just wasn't feeling that. The problem though, was that I couldn't decide what I was in the mood for!  There are plenty of options by my office, but none of them sounded spectacular. Then, I remembered to check Food Truck Fiesta to see if any food trucks were in my neighborhood. I was so excited to see the Ethiopian truck nearby, since I've been wanting to check it out for a while. Fantastic! I got shiro wat (a hearty split pea stew) and collard greens. And a huge serving injera bread to scoop it all up! It was super delicious, very filling and only cost me $7, so needless to say I will be doing that again.

Mm, Ethiopian! From a truck!

Anyways, I didn't get home until 11 p.m. that night because I had choir after work, so I had pretty much resigned myself to the Lean Cuisine for lunch on Wednesday since there was no way I was going to have the energy to prepare anything before bed.

But, MG, being the awesome boyfriend that he is, surprised me with DIY microwaveable burritos! He'd seen a post about it on the Kitchn that morning, so he decided to help me out of my lunch jam. These little guys are fantastic - he used whole wheat tortillas and stuffed them with black beans, reduced fat cheddar, red onion, green chiles and rice cooked with diced tomatoes. Then wrapped them up in foil and popped them in the freezer! I brought them for lunch Wednesday and Thursday and they are super easy to reheat - just wrap them in a paper towel (remember to take off the foil first!), place on a plate, and microwave for about 3-4 minutes. Super delicious, filling, healthy, easy, cheap...kind of the perfect lunch, eh?

Getting stuffed.

 
All lined up and ready to go into the freezer (for a brief stop before I eat you!)

Again, MG's looks more appetizing. I think it's the real plate.

But don't be fooled, mine was delish! With some salsa, of course.

And, we still have 5 more in the freezer! No more emergency Lean Cuisines for me, even in a pinch I can have a home cooked meal! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment