July 22, 2011

Nutella. Enough said.

Last night MG and I went to dinner with a friend of ours who we haven't seen in a while due to busy summer travel schedules.  We had a Living Social coupon to L'Enfant Cafe that was going to expire soon, so we thought it was as good a time as any to indulge in some French (I said Belgian last night, but I guess I was wrong.  Silly Americaine) food and fermented beverages.

Despite the heat it was a wonderful evening.  Although they have a lovely patio area, we sat inside.  MG and I had planned on not drinking, but after the walk there from Columbia Heights we decided we'd definitely earned something cold (and in MG's case, bubbly).  I had a glass of sauvignon blanc (Mouton Cadet, Bordeaux, 2009*) and MG ordered some Belgian beer that I can't remember the name of.

Important to stay hydrated...

...but this is the best way to cool off on a hot day.

Dinner was excellent.  I ordered the moules marinere with a side of crusty baguette, which was nice and light, but filling.  I thought the mussels were excellent, but I don't feel qualified to give a real opinion, since it's only the second or third time I've ever had them.  But I intend to change that.  MG ordered the beouf bourguignon and our friend had the chicken fricasee - they both allowed me to try theirs and I can vouch for the fantasticness of everyone's dinner.

Fruits of the sea, as they say.  With, you know, a ton of garlic and butter and white wine.

I enjoy any food that comes with its own utensil.

I declined a second serving of bread and left most of my butter white wine sauce in the bowl, in anticipation of the nutella and banana crepe that I knew was in my future.  (Yes, I looked at the menu over a week ago.  Yes, I've been thinking about a nutella and banana crepe ever since).

All for me?  No, sadly not. 

Satisfied customers.

I may or may not have used my finger to scoop up a little bit of nutella that was on the plate.  I may or may not feel no shame in having done so.  The French and/or Belgians would probably be horrified.

On our walk back I forced MG to go into a used bookstore, but I exercised self-control and only bought one book.  All in all, a fun and delicious summer evening!

*I give you the label as if it means something to me.  I don't really know anything about wine, it's all pretense.  It tasted good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment