To introduce the blog, here's some background on why I've started it, and what I hope to accomplish with it. Last January I decided that I needed to get serious about losing weight, so I started working out regularly and started tracking what I ate on Livestrong.com. MG and I already loved to cook, so making a concerted effort to start cooking at home seemed like a fun and natural way to help me lose weight. Over the last 7 months I've successfully lost about 35 lbs, and have kept it off for about 4 months now. I'm really proud of how far I've come, but I know that I also have a lot to learn about nutrition and how I eat. The reason I decided to start a blog is to have a place to share my culinary adventures and discoveries, as well as my challenges and struggles. A new goal of mine is to try to be more sustainable and local in what MG and I cook, so to that end we're trying to buy as much locally sourced produce, meat and eggs as possible.
Here are some fun facts about me:
1. I love to bake (hence the cookies)
2. I love vegetables (hence the kale) but I also love a good hunk of cow (preferably with barbecue sauce)
3. I am a cereal addict
4. I am a recipe addict. I'm always thinking about what I want to cook next, and what new food or technique I want to try out.
And finally, my top four food goals of 2011:
1. Eat healthfully - not just low calorie, but quality calories, like fresh fruit, vegetables, and nuts
2. Eat locally - buy local and buy "happy" meat and eggs
3. Eat economically - trying to make sure we use everything we can
4. Eat homemade-ly (ok, not a word) - MG has already started pickling this summer and is working on baking bread; I want to try making jams!
So, I hope you enjoy, and maybe you'll take away some delicious ideas or leave me some inspiration!