July 18, 2011

Food Filled Sunday Funday

My first "real" post! Today was a really fun, but busy, day.

We got up early this morning to go to the Dupont Farmers' Market - we had some produce to buy, but also we volunteered to bake things for a bake sale to benefit the D.C. State Fair. MG made NY-style crumb coffee cake and I made S'mores Cookies (!!) We accidentally left one of the bags of cookies at the apartment, so I guess we'll have to freeze them for a sweet treat later.


S'mores Cookies!

After a successful tour of the farmers' market and the acquisition of some tomatillos, stone fruit, and rhubarb, we headed back for lunch before going to see Harry Potter. I had a fantastic egg salad wrap with bacon and arugula, thanks to a recipe from the Big Girls Small Kitchen blog. I substituted fat-free Greek yogurt for mayo (+protein, - fat!) and accidentally improved the recipe by reading 1/2 tsp Dijon as 1/2 tbsp Dijon (Dijon = yum). The recipe made a ton, so I'll be having that for the next couple of days.

Tonight I'll be cooking up some Tomatillo Chicken Soup using leftover chicken from our roaster, a jalapeno from our ridiculously hot jalapeno plant, and my farmers' market tomatillos. Can't wait to have that for lunch along with some basmati rice pudding MG is cooking up using our leftover basmati from Friday's night's chicken curry dinner. Not a bad way to end the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment